Every baker has a go-to recipe, and I’m proud to say that mine would be these fool-proof, one-bowl brownies! These brownies are indulgent, yet so simple, anybody can make these.
Brownies are one of those desserts that are best when made at home, and this classic brownie recipe is really quick & versatile. Feel free to add some pizzazz – ice cream, cookies, chocolate spreads, peanut butter, candies, or simply a sprinkle of sea salt.
Enjoy these brownies with some coffee and feel the stress just vanish away!
Very Important Tips
Baking these brownies is super easy, and the best recipe to start with if you’re completely new to baking. A few general things to consider, while baking these brownies:
- AVOID UNDERBAKING OR OVERBAKING THE BROWNIES
This rule applies to all baked goods, of course. But in the case of brownies, you need to decide how fudgy you want them to be. In this recipe, f you need them to be chewier, bake these for 20 minutes, otherwise, keep them for 25-30 minutes.
- LET THE BROWNIES REST AFTER BAKING
This is a very important part of the process. Letting the brownies rest in the oven for 3-5 minutes and outside for another 5-10 minutes makes a huge difference in their texture and even the way they taste.
- ADD THE CHOCOLATE AT THE RIGHT TEMPERATURE
Adding the chocolate at the right temperature also makes a difference. Here’s why – you need the chocolate to be cool enough, so the eggs don’t cook, but you also need it to be relatively warm, so the texture isn’t affected. It’s not as complicated as it may seem.
Something you can do to check whether the chocolate is the correct temperature: take out some in a spoon and use your finger to test. If it’s not too hot, but warm enough, it’s perfect to use.
Also, do not use that spoon again (hygiene is of utmost importance).
For 9 medium-sized brownies
– 200 g of chocolate (1/2 cup of melted chocolate)
– 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
– 1/4 cup of cocoa powder
– 1 tsp of salt
– 1/4 cup of softened butter
– 1 cup of sugar
– 1/4 cup of brown sugar (totally optional, but a great addition!)
– 2 eggs
– 1 tsp of vanilla extract
– 1 tsp of instant espresso powder + 3 tsp of water
- Grease and preheat a 4×4 inch square pan to 200 degrees Celsius (oven temperatures differ).
- Mix the softened butter and sugar(s) in a large bowl (the only bowl you’ll use!).
- Add the eggs and the vanilla. Once mixed really well, add the melted chocolate, making sure the chocolate is the right temperature (go to Very Important Tips).
- Add the coffee solution. Now sift in the flour, cocoa powder, and salt into the chocolate mixture.
- Once the dry ingredients are incorporated, you can add extra ingredients to the brownie batter – nuts, chocolate chunks – have fun!
- Pour the batter onto the pan and bake at 200 degrees celsius for 20-25 minutes according to your liking. Keep in mind that oven temperatures and time may vary.
- And you’re good! Let the brownies rest in the oven for 3-5 minutes and chill outside for some time, before you sit back and enjoy these insanely good creations.